Friday, May 25, 2012

A cloth diaper celebration

When Scarlett was a baby, I was obsessed with cloth diapering. Honestly.

I know you knew I was an exciting, live-on-the-edge kind of person after yesterday's post about clotheslines. Today I've confirmed it.

Now, back to cloth diapering.

I will admit, now that I have two little ladies instead of one, am running my own small business, and am washing all of my dishes in the bathtub, I have a lot less passion (and time) for cloth diapering. I use them when I can, and as often as I can, but I no longer consider myself a cloth diapering dictator. That said, I still think cloth dipes are awesome. I think they're adorable on my baby's bum. I am using the diapers I bought for Scarlett now for Heidi, which means big savings. But hands down, most importantly, cloth diapers = no garbage. Hurray for the environment!

I'm into my third year, cloth diapering my second child. I've tried many different brands. My all-time favourite diapers are AMP, made in Winnipeg. They are by far the best cloth diapers I've used. I've flirted with others, been drawn away by cute prints, but I always go back. I love my AMPs. They rock. Try them- you won't regret it. If you're in Halifax and want to purchase AMPs, they have a great selection at Nurtured.

With both of my babies, I've also frequently used cloth wipes instead of disposables. For a very long time, with Scarlett, I only used cloth wipes. It was so easy to throw my wipes in the wash with my diapers- even less garbage. Double hurray for the environment! It was then that I started making cloth wipes, and I haven't stopped. My wipes are now my biggest seller- to the point that I've had to contract out most of my wipes sewing to Babs. What would I do without her?

So, in honour of this cloth diapering celebratory post, I thought I'd share my own, tried and true wipes solution. Try it with a few Dewdrop Crafts flannel wipes and you'll never turn back, I promise!

2 cups water
1 tbsp fruit or vegetable-based oil (apricot, grapeseed, or olive)
1 tbsp gentle baby shampoo
2 drops of lavender or tea tree oil

Fill spray bottle and spritz cloth wipes before use. 





No comments:

Post a Comment